The tides, rising, falling, following the moon...

Welcome to my story. It is my daily story. An artist and art instructor, writer, and teacher, I hope to provide some solace, some laughter, some suggestions, some stories; and, a few ideas to those who decide to read me. Come sit with me on my deck, overlooking a constantly moving river. I'll have an iced tea with lemon, or a glass of wine if the sun should set just so. You are, of course, invited to sit and enjoy along with me. But know this: I'll want to know if you have any stories, and I always take pictures to preserve the moments.































































































































































































































































The river serves to remind me that we live out cycles much as the river washes in and out according to the heartbeat of the ocean. Can you hear the heartbeat of the universe?































































































































































































































































Well, you can try. Smile.































































































































Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I see images in clouds, and trees


I have recently been enjoying this site, http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/community_home.asp
just found on LifetimeTV...It's interactive and very social, which I don't have so much time for but I can drop in once I week and try to keep up my part of the social bargain. That is, if I can remember my passwords. One of the newest problems for the middle aged (weaned on IBM Selectrics) who can use a computer now, can't remember their passwords.

I have been snapping away with my little camera. Both my phone and camera have taken a beating, so I can recommend either brand for their sturdiness, despite their ragged appearances. It is amazing to me that the scenery can change from moment to moment throughout the day and from my view I can see that any time I wish. Dolphin are the most fun to try to capture a photo of. By the time you hear them come up the first time they are already back down into the water. If you are lucky you may catch a glimpse of a tail.

If I am fortunate enough to see them on their first or second surge upwards and out of the water, I usually will see them dance down the river coming up and out of the water and back down at least three to four times total, sometimes more. At some point, though, they tend to go deep and come up some 20 seconds away or more. I have captured them many times now on video and still shot. I still love it everytime I spot one.

I have spent many hours on my deck just looking over the water that flows about twice a day. It flows one way for several hours until it stops and stills itself, and that last some time; then, it flows the other direction for many more hours. That alone has been an amazing thing to witness. The play on light, as I often say, is the most visually interactive form of art ever. Each day is tanalizing to gaze at...the changing clouds, the changing hues and values, the surface of the water, the texture of those things that grow all around. The sounds and smells that accompany all of these things. Who needs human entertainment, when I have this great beauty at my disposal?

And last, though I would not say I am an obsessive animal person, I do have to say that for the first time, out of the animals I have had in my life, my two adopted cat and dog, who I think of as brother and sister, have made a solid difference in my life. Some people reach middle age with no one to comfort them, and a loyal pet can help to restore peoples' souls. So it is less about the animal, to my mind, and more about us. I have been understood and "felt" by my pets, when humans did not have it in them to offer help on the deep emotions I've had at times on and off.

I am every so thankful to the HHI Humane Society for connecting me with the owner of my girl, a Yorkie; and Holly Zuzak of Three Black Dogs for letting me take home my precious boy, Diego. He has gone from a stressed "sketchy" cat, with skin problems to a  healthy happy river cat free to climb trees and study the small creatures that roam the creek bank.

I try to work on my research for the short story I am forming on paper and in my head. I am trying to decide on the years I will cover and have narrowed it to 1750-1800 because there are all kinds of dramatic events erupting. I have to keep going beginning tomorrow. Almost an autobio is forming. I have three pages...

So far I have not turned on my A/C and am proud of that. The weather has cooperated by remaining somewhat cool with a breeze here on the waterfront. However my body has suffered with perspiration pouring down my skin and finding its way into places it ought not be found. My dog licks my legs cause I'm salty all over. I am showering a couple times a day, just to cool down to normal body temperature. Besides, I'm fat and that is not a good summer state to be in.

It has been coming on a rain shower this evening, begining before dark and coming from the northwest. You could see the sheets of rain like stalks supporting large puffy mushroom heads on their tops.

Let me just kick back with this rain and thunder and lightning...

No comments:

Post a Comment